Friday, August 13, 2010

Motivation

It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
 - Peter Gibbons, Office Space

I'd like to say I just wasted 10 minutes of my life watching some silly video, but I spent the last 10 minutes watching this drawing get created while some guy talked about motivation. You MUST watch this.

He mentions a company what allows its employees 24 hours to work on whatever they want. At the end of the 24 hours, they must share their results. There is no monetary incentive, but there is a nice little party with beer and cake. So what would you do with 24 hours to work on whatever you want for your company?

Maybe I would spend it documenting the playbook of our various types of events so newcomners would know the processes and procedures for getting decisions made. Maybe I would spend it planning out the next 6-months-worth of editorial calendar for our Twitter account and event blog. Maybe I would spend it creating the template for our quarterly Ops Review so we aren't reinventing the wheel each time. Maybe I would spend it brainstorming a ton of cool new remarkable Purple Cow things we could do at our events. Hmmm....

No comments: