Monday, August 30, 2010

Time and Energy: Only one is flexible

Until you value yourself, you won't value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.

 - M. Scott Peck

As I mentioned, I've been reading The Way We're Working Isn't Working. So far, I've learned about the body's natural rhythms and how we have the most energy in the morning, and the least energy mid-afternoon. The recommendation is to exercise first thing in the morning and eat a substantial breakfast. Have a natural, mid-morning snack, and a healthy lunch. Then between 1 and 3, you should try to fit in a 30 to 90 minute nap and 10 to 30 minutes of exercise. This will renew your body and allow you to be at your ultimate level of productivity between 3 and 6:00, when you end your workday and are refreshed enough to have energy for your family in the evenings. A light dinner and a calming ritual before a regular bedtime is essential.

So... now for reality. There is no way I can skip out after lunch to take a nap. And unlikely that I can skip out to exercise. BUT, perhaps I could take an afternoon conference call on my cell phone and walk around the building while on it. Or perhaps I can at least stand at stretch in my cube during those afternoon calls.

My biggest challenge is the early morning exercise. I firmly believe that is the best time to fit exercise into my day, but I just can't get myself out of bed. So there's my challenge to myself this week. Roll out of bed and take a 20 minute walk at 6:15. Let's see if I can do it three times this week.

The challenge is on!

No comments: